Contributed by breeder Eileen Needham of Titanium Norfolk, an early history of the breed:
Miss Marion Sheila Scott Macfie, breeder of the “Colonsay” Dalmatians, joined the Norwich Terrier Club in 1935. She
preferred the drop-ears and founded her Colonsay Norwich on Mrs. Mainwaring's Tiny Tim of Biffin, and the Hon.
Mrs. Brooke's Kinmount Pip. Miss Macfie bred and showed extensively and successfully, and it is largely due to her
efforts that the drop-ears were kept going in such strength throughout the years of World War II. Although there
were a few outstanding drop-ears in the late 1950-60s, with a winning pair owned by Miss Macfie, Ch. Colonsay
Orderley Dog with 19 C.C.s and Ch. Colonsay Banston Belinda with 12 C.C.s, (a record at that time for a bitch), and
which remained unbroken until recent times, drop-ear entries went down until, in 1964, they were only about a
quarter of those of the prick-ears. Miss Macfie had already begun a campaign to give each type a separate register
within the one breed, but it took seven years before the two types actually achieved separate recognition in 1964.
Although the Club had wanted separate registers within the one breed, the Kennel Club had insisted on two separate
breeds being formed, with different names. The more dominant prick-ears kept the name "Norwich Terrier", and,
after some debate, it was agreed that the drop-ears should become the "Norfolk Terrier".
Miss MacFie firmly believed that black and tans would produce Yorkie type coats, soft long and flowing. The Colonsay
Kennel was large as Miss MacFie bred quite extensively and often brought in pick of litter or indeed whole litters
sired by her stud dogs.